Saturday, May 28, 2011

New Beginnings

A few years ago, my husband and I visited this nice antique shop in a nearby town where we purchased a cute little white chair for my daughter.  I said, "Hey, you can strip it and I can paint it!"  Well, he stripped part of it and it sat in storage for about 20 years.  Okay, it wasn't 20 years but it was long enough for my 5 year old daughter and now her almost 3 year old sister to grow out of it.  I decided to dig it out of storage and complete the removal of the paint.   My original plan was to stain it in espresso, but I have outgrown the desire to stain every piece of wood furniture that dark, rich espresso color.  So, I painted it.  
I went to Home Depot and bought those tiny samples of Glidden paint in Watermelon Smoothie, Sweet Baby Girl, and Crisp Linen White.  The Watermelon Smoothie was kind of loud for my taste so I had to tone it down by whitewashing with the Sweet Baby Girl.  The Crisp Linen White was used to cover the old brown cane seating.  I distressed it and voila!  One thing I did notice is when you leave paint stripper on furniture for a (few years) while, it leaves behind a nice texture that is perfect for giving a piece an aged look.  It worked beautifully for what I was trying to achieve.  I was pleased with my very first piece of painted furniture.  But since my girls are too big for it, maybe their dolls will enjoy it.

Courtesy of Nameless Ragdoll and Orange Blossom


No comments: